Basel is located at the tripoint Switzerland-Germany-France. The borders of the three countries meet in the Rhine river. The monument is located at the wharf of the «Rheinhafen». Right next to it is a nice beach club, the «Sandoase» and nearby there is also the «Nordstern», a popular club located on a cargo ship.
The Basilisk at the Wettsteinbridge is the last of his kind. There once were four, all as proud guards of the bridge. They had to be removed in 1936 for the renewal of the bridge. Only one made it back in 1955 and since then, it is guarding the bridge all on his own.
The 500 year old Town Hall of Basel is a very imposant building, dominating the Marktplatz, where local markets take place twice a week. The building: Blood-red walls, gilded baubles, pretty tiled roofs, all crowned by an enormous tower. Locals call it «Roothuus», which literally means the same as «red house».
This fountain is a copy of an original from the 17th century and was build 1916 during the first world war. Since the early days if ingress this fountain is a well known Resistance meeting point. The very first few level 8 actions of Switzerland all started here.
In the earlier times, many essential supplies destined for the city from Alsace passed through this gate. Its square central tower wwith adjoining round flanking towers facing outwards from the corners may be seen from afar. This external display is complemented by three figures from the 15th century, the Madonna and two prophets.
The Basel Minster is one of the main landmarks and tourist attractions of the Swiss city of Basel. It was built between 1019 and 1500 in Romanesque and Gothic styles and is one of the few buildings in Basel that survived the big earthquake and fire in 1356. It is a symbol of Resistance.
The Roche Tower is at 178 metres currently the highest building in Switzerland. The office building, internally called «Bau 1», was build for the pharmaceutical company Hoffman-La Roche. It Is normally not open to the puplic and visitor tours are fully booked month ahead.
First report of a fountain at this place is from the year 1343. Rebuild many times, the last time when in 1899 the Basel townhall was renovated. The portal Sevogelbrunnen was the very first blue level 8 portal on european mainland and has become a legend.
The Käppelijoch is a small chapel in the middle of the bridge «Mittlere Brücke ». During the Renaissance it was an execution place. Women senteced to death for child murder, burglary or adultery where hog-tied and threwn from the bridge to drowne in the Rhine. A few years ago, couples started to put love locks there. The Käppelijoch is a popular portal and part of the line 6 tram farm.
El Puente de los Suspiros fue construido en el año 1876, une los extremos de la quebrada y permite el paso entre las calles Ayacucho y la Ermita. Sigue siendo el lugar predilecto para las parejas que visitan la zona e inspiración de compositores y escritores que encontraron a las musas en el crujir de sus maderos. Lugar predilecto de vecinos ¡lustres como José María Eguren y Martín Adan, sirvió de inspiración a una famosa canción de la compositora Chabuca Granda, “El Puente de los Suspiros” en 1960.